BASIC QUALIFICATIONS AND PROCEDURES
Please note that this page outlines the very basics of dual enrollment information. Please refer to the attached page listing the responsibilities of each party in the DE process and specific Drake State forms needed by student and counselors
FOR TECHNICAL CLASSES – A STUDENT MUST BE IN 10TH THROUGH 12THGRADES AND MUST HAVE AND MAINTAIN AN OVERALL 2.5 GPA REMAIN ELIGIBLE FOR DUAL ENROLLMENT CLASSES (No exceptions to this requirement are possible)
FOR ACADEMIC CLASSES – IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE QUALIFICATIONS, THE STUDENT MUST HAVE AN “ACT” SCORE OF AT LEAST 20 IN EACH AREA (MATH, READING, AND ENGLISH) OR BE PLACED USING THE FREE DRAKE STATE PLACEMENT EXAM
PLACEMENT REQUIREMENTS – ALL STUDENTS ENTERING 12TH GRADE ENTERING A TECHNICAL PROGRAM MUST PROVIDE AN ASSESSMENT SCORE SUCH AS AN ACT OR SAT SCORE. ALL STUDENTS IN 10TH THRU 12TH GRADE TAKING ACADEMIC CLASSES MUST PROVIDE AN ACT OR SAT BENCHMARK SCORE OR TAKE THE COLLEGE PLACEMENT TEST PRIOR TO THE SEMESTER
PROCEDURE FOR STUDENTS TO BEGIN:
- MEET WITH YOUR COUNSELOR TO IDENTIFY IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR DE CLASSES
- DECIDE ON A MAJOR AREA OF STUDY (Ex. Welding, Culinary, Business)
- COMPLETE THE “ONLINE” APPLICATION LOCATED AT: www.drakestate.edu; FOLLOW THE “APPLY NOW” LINK. CLICK THE “FIRST TIME USER ACCOUNT CREATION” LINK
- SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS “DUAL ENROLLMENT” WEB PAGE IN ADDITION TO ANY REQUIED SCHOOL SYSTEM PAPERWORK TO YOUR COUNSELOR.
- PROVIDE A COPY AN OFFICIAL ID (such as an unexpired driver’s license or permit, US Alien Registration Card, passport, or other acceptable ID) AND HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT TO YOUR COUNSELOR TO COMPLETE THE PACKET.
When all of the documents have been completed and signed, your counselor will ensure the packet is correct and complete and will submit the entire packet to the appropriate school or school system DE designee who will continue processing the application.
While most programs may be eligible for dual enrollment, only those programs chosen by the GOVERNORS OFFICE OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT are eligible for SCHOLARSHIP.
SCHOLARSHIP means: THE GOVERNORS OFFICE OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT will pay all tuition, fees, books and supplies for specific programs. Additionally, for each technical class taken, students may receive a scholarship for one academic class as well.